The Material Handler plays a crucial role in ensuring the timely and accurate movement of materials within our warehouse. This position involves receiving, storing, organizing, and distributing materials and products to support operational efficiency and meet customer demands.
- Material Handling: Safely and efficiently handle materials, including loading and unloading shipments, sorting, picking, packing, and preparing materials for shipment or storage. Use appropriate tools, equipment, and technology to move materials, such as forklifts, pallet jacks, or conveyors.
- Inventory Management: Assist in maintaining accurate inventory records and performing regular inventory counts. Monitor inventory levels, identify shortages or discrepancies, and report findings to supervisors. Ensure proper labeling, tagging, and storing of materials to facilitate easy identification and retrieval.
- Shipping and Receiving: Receive incoming materials, verify their accuracy against purchase orders or shipping manifests, and inspect for damage or defects. Prepare and package materials for outgoing shipments, ensuring they are properly labeled and documented. Coordinate with shipping carriers or logistics providers as needed.
- Documentation and Record Keeping: Maintain detailed records of incoming and outgoing materials, including quantities, dates, and locations. Complete required documentation, such as packing slips, bills of lading, or inventory reports, accurately and in a timely manner. Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and record retention policies.
- Safety and Compliance: Follow safety protocols and guidelines to maintain a safe work environment. Adhere to proper handling, storage, and disposal procedures for hazardous materials, if applicable. Comply with company policies, procedures, and regulations related to material handling, storage, and transportation.
- Equipment Maintenance: Perform basic maintenance and cleaning of material handling equipment and tools. Report any malfunctions or damages to supervisors for repair or replacement. Follow preventive maintenance schedules to ensure equipment reliability and longevity.
- Collaboration and Communication: Coordinate with other team members, supervisors, and stakeholders to ensure smooth material flow and efficient operations. Communicate any issues, delays, or discrepancies to the appropriate personnel. Participate in team meetings and contribute ideas for process improvement and optimization.
- Quality Control: Inspect materials for quality and conformance to specifications. Follow quality control procedures to identify and address non-conforming materials or products. Collaborate with quality assurance teams to resolve any quality-related issues.
- Continuous Improvement: Seek opportunities to improve efficiency, reduce waste, and streamline material handling processes. Propose and implement process enhancements or automation solutions. Stay updated on industry trends and best practices in material handling and logistics.
- Physical Demands and Safety: Perform physically demanding tasks, including lifting heavy objects, bending, stooping, and standing for extended periods. Adhere to safety guidelines and use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling materials.
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience in material handling, warehouse operations, or a related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of material handling equipment and tools, such as forklifts, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Familiarity with inventory management systems and software is a plus.
- Basic mathematical skills to perform accurate inventory counts and measurements.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain accuracy in record-keeping and documentation.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with team members and stakeholders.
- Ability to follow instructions, work independently or as part of a team, and prioritize tasks.
- Physical stamina and ability to perform physically demanding tasks in a warehouse environment.
- Familiarity with safety regulations and procedures related to material handling and warehouse operations.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, or overtime, per operational needs.
- Wage commensurate with experience and abilities
- BC/BS health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Paid holidays/sick time/vacation days